Our lives can be fast-paced, and stressful and sometimes it can be difficult to achieve moments of tranquillity. However finding those moments of serenity and mindfulness have been found to reduce anxiety, reduce symptoms of depression, and improve relationships, sleep and focus.
While meditation has long been practiced to achieve mental clarity and relaxation, pet meditation is an emerging trend that is being embraced by meditation enthusiasts and pet owners alike.
Combining the therapeutic benefits of meditation with the unconditional love and companionship of our furry friends, pet meditation offers a unique and rewarding experience that can enhance our overall wellbeing and strengthen the bond between pets and humans.
Pet meditation is the practice of engaging in mindful meditation while being in the presence of our pets. It involves creating a peaceful atmosphere, dedicating time, and allowing ourselves to be fully present in the moment with our furry companions. These sessions aim to foster a harmonious environment where we can both experience a sense of relaxation and serenity.
The benefits of pet meditation are many and varied including:
- Reducing stress and anxiety:85% of pet owners say that their pets have had a positive impact on their life. Interestingly, ‘relaxation’ was among the top reasons for getting a pet according to pet parents of most animal types including dogs, cats, fish, birds and small mammals. Combining meditation with our fur friends enhances this effect, resulting in a soothing and nurturing environment.
- Enhancing Mindfulness:Living in the present moment is something that comes naturally to our pets. The gentle rhythm of their breathing, the way they explore their surroundings with curiosity, and their ability to find joy in the simplest of things can be learnings for us all to embrace and live in the moment.
- Improving emotional wellbeing:Pets are architects of social connections, with simple walks in the park being just one way that pets create opportunities for human interaction. Our pets provide unconditional love, acceptance, and emotional support and when we engage in pet meditation, we tap into their positive energy, which can uplift our spirits, boost our mood, and enhance our emotional wellbeing.
- Strengthening our bond:Spending quality time with our pets is crucial for building a strong bond. Pet meditation allows us to deepen this connection. By being fully present with our pets by our side, we communicate our love and appreciation, creating a sense of trust and mutual understanding.
Getting into ‘the zone’ for pet meditation:
- Find a quiet and comfortable space where you and your pet can relax without distractions. You might like to create a particular mood with soft lighting, soothing music, or nature sounds.
- Sit comfortably or lie down, ensuring both you and your pet are at ease. Gently close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, and let go of any tension or stress.
- Pay attention to the presence of your pet. Feel their warmth, listen to their breath, and observe their movements.
- Focus on your own breath, as you breathe in and out. If your mind wanders, gently bring it back to the breath.
- While in the height of a meditative state, consider your feelings of gratitude and love towards your pet. Reflect on the joy that you bring to each other’s lives and the importance and depth of the bond you share.
Whether you are a pet sitter or pet parent, pet meditation can create a deeper connection to benefit both two and four-legged participants. If you’re in search of a pet sitter that engages in pet meditation, browse a range of pet sitter profiles online.